Monday, August 27, 2012

Waxing Storm

"Living Water 73" 24x24" encaustic 
Yesterday I spent the day in the studio, painting, scraping, and fusing. For some reason, I was blissfully ignorant of the whirlwind of action all around me.  People were storming the markets for provisions, gasoline, batteries, etc.
After work, I stopped by Whole Foods, for my favorite yogurt. The store was packed with shoppers. While it was unusual, I was not concerned. Shelves were stocked with my  yogurt, and I loaded up.

By the time I got home I was inundated with calls, emails and text. "Protect your art from the storm. Wrap everything in plastic." Warned one email.  My encaustic studio in on the second floor (of an art "colony"), with two windows and a french door, opening to a rickety balcony. The studio I oil paint in, is on the second floor of my home. It has seven lower windows, two french doors (opening to a sturdy balcony), and seven extremely high dormer windows. While this may be wonderful for light, it is dangerous for the storm. Flying debris is a real worry. There is really no feasible way for me to protect all of my art, equipment, and supplies.

Today,  my " Issac" prep has been somewhere between Chicken Little's "the sky is falling" and Scarlett O'Hara's “I won’t think of it now. I’ll think of it later when I can stand it.”  I am making homemade granola to eat with the yogurt. My hubby is battening down the hatches here at home,  securing all the loose hanging baskets and outdoor plants. 

In the morning I will close the shutters on the lower windows, of my home studio. I have a tank full of gas, in case we need to leave town. The last hurricane, left us without power for nine days. We will not stay for that unpleasantness, again.


My precious art will be on it's own in the encaustic studio. I just have to have faith that it will still be there, safe and sound, when I return. It will (hopefully) be sometime Thursday. 

Until then I will be at home, eating yogurt. 

2 comments:

  1. i was wondering about you and what your plans were for the storm. I'll keep you in my thoughts and of course you know there is a place for you in shreveport if you lose power during the storm.
    xxa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stephanie, take care. It's just a feeling but I think your work will be safe and you will be too. I'll add some prayers to that feelling just in case. xo

    ReplyDelete

Wow! I really appreciate you taking the time to make a comment. I'll be posting it as soon as I see it.